Amgen's Commitment to Diversity, Inclusion and Belonging
Consistent with our values, Amgen is committed to bringing the diversity of the world community into the Amgen community. We believe in harnessing the collective power of individual experiences, perspectives and knowledge of our workforce to fulfill our aspiration to be the best human therapeutics company. This means more than recruiting diverse talent; it also means maintaining an environment where this diverse workforce can contribute fully to our mission to serve patients. An environment of inclusion and belonging fosters innovation, strengthens our global workforce and drives our ability to fulfill our mission. This commitment sets forth key principles that guide our Diversity, Inclusion & Belonging efforts.
At Amgen, we seek to source the best talent available and make all employment decisions without regard to an individual’s gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, race, national origin, age, religion, disability or other protected characteristic. In making decisions about who to hire, promote or retain, what matters is an individual’s qualifications and performance and how these attributes align to business needs. Our goal is to ensure that qualified job applicants and employees are given equal opportunity to compete. We are Science-Based when making such decisions – relying solely on the facts, not assumptions, biases or irrelevant information.
Amgen seeks to improve diversity at the company by sourcing talent from diverse pools considering the full breadth of what an individual’s background and experience bring to a position, while eliminating potential bias from the decision-making process. Equally important, Amgen strives to provide all staff members with the mentorship, sponsorship and opportunities they need to succeed to their fullest potential.
Inclusion and Belonging:
It is every staff member’s responsibility to create a welcoming, inclusive and productive environment where all employees feel valued and able to contribute to their full potential. The foundation for inclusion and belonging is Amgen’s Values and Leadership Attributes.
- We are ethical, which includes:
- Maintaining integrity
- Ensuring that our words and actions are consistent
- Being honest and direct in our dealings with each other
- We trust and respect each other, which includes:
- Showing interest and respect in dealing with people of different backgrounds and experience
- Working effectively with others who have different backgrounds, perspectives and styles
- Fostering a culture that promotes diversity and inclusion
- Leaders at Amgen develop the best teams, which means teams that are diverse across many dimensions. They achieve this by:
- Hiring the best talent
- Making accurate assessments of staff’s capabilities and performance
- Developing and mentoring key talent
Amgen’s Commitment to Diversity:
Amgen is committed to the following actions to promote diversity, inclusion and belonging in the workplace:
- Recruit and retain a diverse workforce representative of the global communities we serve.
- Create an inclusive environment where all staff members belong by providing education to our staff and enforcement of Amgen policies.
- Ensure that all employees have equal opportunities to succeed, regardless of their gender, race, religion, sexual orientation, age, disability or other protected status.
- Continue to examine pay, promotions and performance management – and improve our processes across those dimensions.
Diversity is everything that makes each human being unique; it includes all aspects of a person’s physical, emotional, experiential and intellectual dimensions.
Inclusion leads to a sense of belonging by involving and empowering others in a way that recognizes each individual’s inherent worth and dignity.
Belonging is valuing every individual’s inherent worth and dignity, so they feel authentic, safe and invited to thrive.