For more than 40 years, Amgen has fought the world's toughest diseases by providing innovative medicines for millions of seriously ill patients globally. One key to Amgen's success is a commitment to helping build a better, healthier world that is grounded in our mission to serve patients. Amgen's efforts range from investing in sustainable operations and reimagining science education, to advancing equity and access in healthcare and diversity and inclusion.
Amgen's 2022 ESG Report details the Company's progress across four strategic pillars: Healthy People, Healthy Society, Healthy Planet and A Healthy Amgen. These reflect environmental, social and governance (ESG) issues of relevance to Amgen and its stakeholders. Top five takeaways:
- Environmental sustainability: The Company has made significant progress toward achieving its 2027 goal of becoming carbon neutral1 in its operations. Additionally, Amgen's approach to innovative and sustainable manufacturing is embedded in the upfront design, development and execution of its two new U.S.-based manufacturing facilities, under construction in Ohio and North Carolina.
- Health equity: Amgen is focused on expanding access to clinical trial participation among historically underserved populations, facilitating comprehensive health education, and engaging with community support systems. In 2022, the Company worked with 68 organizations in support of advancing health equity activities.
- Science education: In 2022, the Amgen Foundation2 —through its four science education programs—reached more than 23 million students and teachers worldwide in its efforts to inspire the next generation of scientists and improve science education globally.
- Workplace diversity: Amgen recognizes the importance of having a diverse workforce and has made ongoing progress toward fostering an inclusive environment. At Amgen, women held 45% of roles at the executive director level and above globally, and members of ethnic minorities held 32% of these leadership roles in the United States in 2022.
- Access to Healthcare: Through the Amgen Safety Net Foundation,2 $2.2 billion3 of Amgen medicines were provided at no cost to eligible uninsured or underinsured patients in the United States in 2022.
Click here to learn more.
- Carbon neutrality goal refers to Scope 1 and 2 emissions. Reductions take into account only verified reduction projections, do not take into account changes associated with the contraction or expansion of the Company, and are measured against a 2019 baseline.
- Amgen Safety Net Foundation and The Amgen Foundation, Inc. are separate legal entities entirely funded by Amgen.
- Valued at wholesale acquisition cost.